When you build the binaries to send to Apple you need to sign them with at distribution provisioning profile. To upload and run your ipa-file on an actual device you need to upload the same distribution provisioning profile to that Device. This guide already assumes that you have a profile set up.
The only way to add the profile at the moment is through Xcode.
There are a few simple steps to do so.
- Navigate to http://developer.apple.com and sign in
- Find your distribution provisioning profile under "Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles"
- Download it to your local machine
- Make sure your device is connected
- Open Xcode and click Window -> Devices
- Right click your device and select "Show Provisioning Profiles..."
- Click the + sign at the bottom and add the downloaded profile.
The app should now run using the Appstore and Release configuration.